Wednesday, November 15, 2006

DwtS 3 Finals: Results Show

Even after his retirement from football, Emmitt Smith is still earning trophies. And Cheryl Burke's record on the show remains unblemished. Emmitt & Cheryl won the final audience vote and, as a result, were handed the Dancing with the Stars 3 mirrorball.

After a recap of last night's performances, Tom Bergeron announced that both couples would be dancing an encore this week. From their three performances, the judges asked Emmitt & Cheryl to reprise their Samba, and Mario & Karina danced their Freestyle.

Then it was time for a final update from Slim-Fast Challenge contestant, Tysonia. After her months of dancing, she says she lost 15 pounds and got a promotion at work. Since the show spent so much time covering Tysonia's journey, I was surprised that she wasn't asked to perform at tonight's live show.

Next up was a recap of the show's early eliminations -- and a medley of dances by those eliminated stars. Tucker & Elena performed their Cha Cha Cha, Shanna & Jesse danced their Mambo, Harry & Ashly their Tango, and Vivica & Nick their Paso Doble. Near the end of the routine, you could see the show's emcee at the bottom of the screen, encouraging the audience to cheer.

After a commercial break, the rest of the ousted couples performed. Willa & Max danced their Rumba, Sara & Tony did their cowboy Jive, Jerry & Kym donned their ridiculous outfits for the Samba, Monique leaped off of the stage into Louis's arms for their Jive, and Joey & Edyta performed their Fox Trot. As the couples took their bows, Max blew a kiss to the camera.

The highlight of those performances was Monique. Even in tonight's brief routine, she had tremendous speed and accuracy. By re-dancing a routine she'd originally performed in the third week, Monique showed just how much she'd improved over the course of the show.

The dance medleys were followed by a package of interviews with the family and friends of the remaining dancers. Former NFL quarterback Rodney Peete said, "My highlight is to really see what outfit [Emmitt's] going to wear. It's certainly not an outfit he would wear on a regular night out."

Emmitt replied, "A man in pink looks strong. That's a man that's confident!"

Ryan Seacrest had thoughts about the clothes in which Mario's danced. "It's made me a little uncomfortable to see some of the outfits he's been wearing on the show."

Eva Longoria was also concerned. "I said, 'Mario, do not let them put you in these tight pants and tight shirts.' Then he started getting all these votes, and I said, 'Mario, keep wearing the tight pants and the tight shirts. It's working!'"

George Lopez had his own reason for wanting Mario to win. "The trophy, it's kind of like this disco ball. We're Latinos. It would look brilliant in our living rooms." George added, "Mario, I think, finally, you got people to forget Saved by the Bell." Never, George. We will never forget.

After the clips, Tom walked over to the audience and asked each of the eliminated celebrities to name a favorite memory from the show.

Tucker: "The chair. I loved the chair."

Shanna: "Besides dancing to Kris Kross, Jerry smacking the guitar on the stage."

Harry: "Dancing with Ashly every night, and looking out and seeing my wife Lisa cheering me on even when I was less than perfect."

Vivica: "Making some new friends and dancing with Nick." Tom asked Vivica if they stay in touch, and she answered dryly, "No."

Willa: "The week of the Waltz when my grandmother came to watch me."

Sara: "Making a lifelong friend in Tony."

Jerry (sporting his Evil Puffy Shirt): "When they said I could keep the shirt." After the laughter from the professional dancers in the row behind him died down, he said, "Katie being there, that was the best."

Monique: "Definitely having my mom in the audience, but also the day that I found out that Jerry Springer was my dad." Kym raised her eyebrows in shock, while Tony and Max roared with laughter. Jerry kept a straight face and just shook his head.

Joey: "Just having my wife, my mom here, and my whole family get so involved in this whole thing. It's just been a really great ride for all of us."

As Joey spoke, you could still hear Tony and Max cackling at Monique's comment.

Because of her dancing tonight, and the joke about Jerry being her dad, I am suddenly awaiting the next Monique Coleman project. She just earned herself a new fan.

In a nice package of clips, Emmitt & Cheryl talked about what their time together had meant to each of them. "We've just become such good friends," said Cheryl. "Like brother and sister."

Emmitt clarified, "I'm the big brother." Turning to Cheryl, he said, "Thank you for pushing me, even when I did not want to be pushed. I love you, and I thank you, once again, for being a friend." Cheryl teared up at Emmitt's heartfelt comments.

Mario & Karina's clips package followed. About their weeks of training, Karina said, "There was days when you want to kill the other half -- slowly and painfully." But she said of Mario, "I think of him as my castle, my wall of protection. He's unbelievable."

And of Karina, Mario said, "She's my stand up comedian. She's my friend. She's my little dictator."

Finally, with only a couple minutes of showtime remaining, Tom announced the winners: Emmitt & Cheryl. Emmitt took the glamorous mirrorball trophy and held it over his head. Though clearly disappointed, Mario & Karina just smiled and shrugged to their friends in the audience.

The show's tight schedule allowed precious little time for interviews with the winners and runners up. Emmitt addressed Mario and said, "To you, my friend, I appreciate you very much. You've been a true gentleman."

When Samantha asked a teary-eyed Karina to say a few words about Mario, she said, "He is my true champion."

A trickle of glitter fell from the sky, and the season's celebs and pros, led by Vivica & Nick, ran out to congratulate the champs. As the final credits rolled, the band played "We Are the Champions," and Jerry Springer danced with one of Emmitt's daughters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home